The prophet tells us: “And the crowds asked him, “What then should we do?” In reply, he said to them, “Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none, and whoever has food must do likewise.” (Luke 3:10-11) The crowd was speaking to John the Baptist about how they would live the Missional life. They were confused and waiting for the Rabbis to tell them what to do. Perhaps the Synagogue’s Missions Committee would set up a program so that they could “Plug-In”. Instead, John said: JUST DO IT!
What should we do? Do as the prophet said two thousand years ago. Share as you go, give your personal property away to those who are in need, live a life of simply caring about others. Caring becomes a way of life and the first thing you know it will be better to give than to receive.
OK, some action suggestions:
- Give something of your own to a person in need.
- Give food or help to a homeless person (it doesn’t matter WHY they are homeless).
- Give a smile or a kind word to a stranger.
- Pick up some trash in your neighborhood–just because.
- Volunteer at a park, zoo or hospital.
- Become a mentor for a child.
These are just a few ways that you can just do something Missional this week. The message -DON’T WAIT- just do it !
Lord, compel me to take action where it is needed and give me the ability to show your grace to the people I encounter.